Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

In Praise of Snow, Cold and (sometimes) Sunny

We've had quite a bit of snow and some really cold days up here in northwestern PA so far this winter. We're fairly used to that. Nothing earth-shattering or extremely health-risking. But when the temperature is -10 and the wind chill lower, one does pause when considering an outdoors excursion. There is beauty to be found in this cold, though, and I can never resist a quick trip through my backyard in search of a few prizes.
A warming sunrise through the icicles

Wind-blown drifts I can measure with a yardstick (24 inches, if you must know),

snow capped cone flower seed heads (echinacea purpurera),

and my pink heaths starting to bloom.

When the day is not great, I take a few gray bayberries in my hand and rub them between my fingers. Their delightful smell is all I need.

and no matter what, the winterberry (Ilex verticulata) shines this time of year.

And when the sun comes out, well,
a drift over on the roof become art against a crisp azure sky

and gulls become little white specks soaring high in an ethereal sea.

The sun warms without heat

I  enjoy the disheveled beauty of a magnolia pod

and the simple pleasure of watching a dry leaf blow across the frozen surface 

or finding these delicate bird tracks etched in the snow.

Winter is not always at home for me.
We've had trips to find snowy owls which have been popping up all over this winter much to everyone's delight.

This past weekend, Mike and I celebrated our anniversary in an Adirondack shelter in Oil Creek State Park. With tarps to close it in and a fireplace to warm us, it was a cozy night. The setting sun lit up the woods. Its glow held the promise of summer. 

It may be cold outside but, so far, the winter has been quite warm, really.


No comments:

Post a Comment